Now Playing
96.9 The Eagle
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
96.9 The Eagle

news

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Children's Hospital Lets Patients "Drive" To OR

Children's Hospital Lets Patients "Drive" To OR

Murder suspect parties in victim's home after hiding body, police say

Police say that after allegedly murdering a 71-year-old woman, a Texas man hid her body and invited friends over to her house to party.

>> Read more trending news 

Michael McClendon, 45, is currently being held on a $500,000 bail for the capital murder of Norma Rae Kakacek, who was found dead of multiple stab wounds and a cut throat after she missed two appointments last Tuesday and failed to show up to work the next day, KDFW reported. According to The Dallas Morning News, McClendon told a few friends he was “house-sitting” for his aunt and invited them over to Kakacek’s home, but warned them that the garage -- where the victim’s body had been hidden -- was “off-limits.”

When police arrived at the gruesome scene, they said they noticed the victim’s Lexus SUV was missing and traced it to Reginald Taylor, 37, who claimed McClendon had picked him and two women up in the vehicle earlier that week and brought them to the house. McClendon then gave Taylor and the others a tour of the home, and the four of them smoked marijuana and drank alcohol in the house for a few hours. According to Taylor, McClendon allowed him to drive the Lexus “to go buy some more weed.” When he returned, McClendon was nowhere to be found, so he left with the vehicle, police said.

Authorities later received a tip from someone indicating that McClendon was staying at a nearby hotel with Kakacek’s credit cards. Upon his arrest, police said they found blood on his shoes and discovered that he was in possession of a safe, which contained paperwork belonging to Kakacek’s husband, a plastic yellow baggie of methamphetamines and a glass pipe. He told investigators that he was not at the home at the time of the murder.

Police also arrested Taylor on a charge of unauthorized use of a vehicle, and he is being held on a $250,000 bail.

Read more at The Dallas Morning News and KDFW.

After Irma: Florida governor says nursing home 'failed...basic duty' in deaths

Operators of a Florida nursing home where eight seniors died last week called Florida Gov. Rick Scott’s cell phone four times after Hurricane Irma knocked out the facility’s air conditioning, Scott’s office confirmed Tuesday — but the governor’s office said managers never indicated patients were in danger or needed to be evacuated.

>> Read more trending news

Every call from the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills to Scott’s phone was returned by a state official, said the governor’s office, which said nursing home managers were “advised by the state multiple times to call 911 if they had any reason to believe that any lives were in danger – something they failed to do.”

Scott’s office late Tuesday released 159 pages of phone logs, emails and other records related to the state’s interaction with the facility, which is under criminal investigation for the deaths. A ninth victim died Monday, the Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office reported.

The nursing home has blamed state officials and Florida Power & Light for the deaths and released its own timeline last week of calls to FP&L and state agencies.

FP&L last week released a statement, saying it is “limited in what we can say” because of the investigation but adding that “there was a hospital with power across the parking lot from this facility and that the nursing home was required to have a permanently installed, operational generator…we urge our customers who have electricity dependent medical needs, and who don’t have power to call 911, if it is a life-threatening situation.”

>> Related: Owner of nursing home where 8 died linked to Medicare fraud case

With Republican Scott expected to challenge Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson next year, Democrats have intensified efforts to link the governor to the nursing home deaths.

Nelson, in a Senate floor speech Monday, mentioned the nursing home deaths and “all the phone calls that had been made that were not answered, both to the government as well as to the power company.”

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee on Tuesday accused Scott of a “failure to respond” to requests for help from the nursing home’s administrators.

Scott is pushing back hard against his critics.

“No amount of finger pointing by the Hollywood Hills Rehabilitation Facility and Larkin Community Hospital Behavioral Health Services will hide the fact that this healthcare facility failed to do their basic duty to protect life,” Scott said in a statement released Tuesday night. “This facility is failing to take responsibility for the fact that they delayed calling 911 and made the decision to not evacuate their patients to one of the largest hospitals in Florida, which is directly across the street.”

Scott’s office said the governor gave a personal cell phone number before the hurricane to “mayors, sheriffs, police chiefs, county and city officials, nursing homes, ALFs and fuel and utility providers.”

After Irma passed through Broward County on Sunday, Sept. 10, and knocked out the nursing home’s air conditioning, an aide to the governor retrieved a voice mail message at 7:35 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 11 from Natasha Anderson, the CEO of Larkin Community Hospital Behavioral Health Services, which is associated with the nursing home.

The call was returned about about 9:50 p.m. by Department of Health Chief of Staff Alexis Lambert, the governor’s office said.

“Chief Lambert advised Anderson to call 911 if there was any reason to believe that the health or safety of patients was at risk. The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills reported issues involving air conditioning but did not, at any time during the call, report or indicate that conditions had become dangerous or that the health and safety of their patients was at risk,” Scott’s office said.

According to the nursing home’s timeline, on Monday night “the building was still cool and the spot coolers were in place maintaining required temperatures.”

>> Related: After Irma: Sixty-four Florida nursing homes still without power

The next day, Sept. 12, callers from the Rehabilitation Center left two voice mail messages on Scott’s cell phone that were retrieved at 10:25 a.m. Another voice mail was retrieved at 12:50 p.m., according to the governor’s office timeline.

According to the nursing home’s timeline, it received additional spot coolers from Memorial Regional Hospital at 3:15 p.m. on Sept. 12.

An Agency for Health Care Administration official returned one call to nursing home administrator Jorge Carballo at 4:17 p.m., the governor’s office said. Another AHCA official called Anderson at 4:41 p.m. Both Carballo and Anderson said the nursing home’s “chiller” wasn’t working but that spot coolers and fans were in place, according to the governor’s office, which said neither nursing home official indicated patients were in danger.

About nine hours later, at 1:30 a.m. on Sept. 13, the nursing home says the first victim experienced an elevated heart rate and was taken to the hospital.

Kids drive themselves to operating room in pint-sized cars

Undergoing surgery and being loaded onto a gurney may be scary for some kids. But a children’s hospital in San Diego may have found a more fun way of getting young patients to the operating room.

Rady Children’s Hospital allows kids to drive themselves to the OR in mini luxury cars, Reuters reported.

The cars, which were donated by the San Diego Regional Law Enforcement Teddy Bear Drive, include a BMW, Mercedes and Lamborghini.

>> Read more trending news 

“The kids are having fun. The parents are seeing that they’re relaxed and that they’re happy,” Dr. Daniela Carvalho told Reuters.

Rady Children’s Hospital performed 20,369 surgeries so far in the 2017 fiscal year and has treated 237,116 children.

Four Children Barred From Memphis School Because Of Residency Issue

Four Children Barred From Memphis School Because Of Residency Issue

Body of Infant Found In Sealed Containers

Body of Infant Found In Sealed Containers

$500 Worth Of Tacos Offered By Realtor To Help Sell Property.9696.120681

$500 Worth Of Tacos Offered By Realtor To Help Sell Property.9696.120681

Man missing for 20 years found in submerged truck

The body of a New Hampshire man who left home in 1998 for a horseshoe tournament has been found.

Tony Imondi left his home on July 1, 1998. He drove off in his girlfriend’s pickup truck, on his way to the tournament. He was never seen again, WGME reported.

>> Read more trending news 

That was until Tuesday, when police using sonar equipment found the truck at the bottom of the Androscoggin River in Errol, New Hampshire.

Police found Imondi’s skeletal remains inside the truck when they pulled it from the water, WGME reported.

Now police are investigating why the truck plunged into the river.

Family finds 7 horses shot, killed

A Mississippi family is reeling after finding seven of their 12 horses dead after an apparent shooting in rural Chickasaw County.

>> Read more trending news

“My father-in-law got a call, said that some of his horses had been shot,” Tara Christian told WTVA on Tuesday. “This is cruel, absolutely cruel, to do this to animals. To do this to the poor kids.”

The horses, considered family pets and given names like Spot and Lineback, were shot in a field near the intersection of County Road 118 and County Road 119, Mississippi News Now and WTVA reported. The shooting appeared to have happened Monday night or Tuesday morning.

At least seven horses died. Three others were injured and two were missing, according to Mississippi News Now.

Chickasaw County Sheriff Jim Meyers told WTVA that the case is being investigated as animal cruelty. Deputies and officials with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks continued to investigate Wednesday, WPMI reported.

Florida Keys hotel in Netflix series ‘Bloodline’ closed in wake of Irma

The Islamorada hotel featured in the Netflix series ‘Bloodline’ is closed indefinitely in the wake of Hurricane Irma.

>> Read more trending news 

Last year, Palm Beach Daily News travel writer Cheryl Blackerby  wrote a piece about her trip to Islamorada and how the Moorings Village and Spa and other Florida Keys locations became stars of the show.

‘Bloodline’ ended earlier this year but is still available on Netflix. Meanwhile, Islamorada and the Keys are trying to recover after being decimated by Irma. As a result, the Moorings announced last week on its website it would not accept reservations for the rest of 2017.

On Sept. 11, the Moorings also posted on its Facebook page: “The security, well-being and safety of our guests and staff is always the highest priority in all emergency situations. Due to the mandatory evacuation of the Florida Keys and ramifications of Hurricane Irma, The Moorings is currently closed and not accepting reservations for the remainder of 2017. Once the storm passes and we can return to the property and assess damage, we will make a decision regarding re-opening. We appreciate your understanding and ask for your patience during this time. Our thoughts remain with all of those affected by the storm.”

Read more at Palm Beach Daily News.

>> PHOTOS: Netflix ‘Bloodline’ series and real life collide in Islamorada

>> PHOTOS: Paradise destroyed in Florida Keys

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >